Monday, May 10, 2010

Wooden Spoon & Fork

They say that if you enter a house and saw a wooden spoon and fork hanging on the wall in the living room, most probably the owner of the house is a Filipino.

I have visited a lot of blogs on bushcraft and most of the time I find a post about wooden spoon or wooden cup. Maybe if you're into this thing you need to make one sooner or later. So when my daughter decided to cut the small tree below, I thought its time for me to make a wooden spoon and fork.




I cut a portion of the trunk for my wooden spoon and fork.


Using my Ontario 12" machete, I split the wood in half.


Back home, I would use acacia or lanete to make a wooden spoon. I don't even know the name of this tree but when I saw it has a nice grain I thought I made a good choice.


That was a mistake though. The wood was so hard and knotted I had no choice but to use the machete all the way. I used the Mora 840mg Carbon Clipper knife only to smooth out the shape.

Carving the face of the spoon was even harder. My crooked knife could hardly cut into the wood. I ended up burning the face of the spoon with charcoal and then using the crooked knife to scrape the burnt wood. I got so frustrated that I forgot to take pictures.


Two knots on the face of the spoon made it even harder to carve with the crooked knife.


Final result, not bad. The face of the spoon is a little bit shallow, maybe I'll redo it later. The fork is easy to make, I used a saw to make the tines and whittled it with a knife.

To finish it off, I'll coat the wooden spoon and fork with linseed oil and drill holes so I can hang it in the wall. Filipino style, anyone?

That's all folks! Thanks for reading.

4 comments: