Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Rehandling a Saw

Sometime ago, I found a saw without a handle. I've never gotten time to put a handle on it. But since I've been woodcarving lately, I thought it would be a nice tool for cutting small branches, like when I'm making spikketrollets. I decided to give it a new handle so that it would be convenient to use.




I split the wood with my knife.




I traced the part of the saw that would go into the handle with a knife. I then carved the wood so that when the saw is inserted and the two blocks of wood are joined together, the saw would fit in snuggly.




Then I removed the bark from the handles.


And applied wood glue generously.


I put them all together. I don't have clamps so I just tied the handles with a rubber band.


After letting the glue cure for 24 hours, I removed the rubber band, whittled the handle to my desired shape and sanded it to remove rough edges. This is the final result.

That's all folks! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment