Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Walking Stick

I've browsed several blogs about making a walking stick and since I've been hiking a few trails with my wife, I decided to make one. It's not that I need a walking stick to aide me in walking but since I have a knowledge of Arnis, a Filipino art of stick fighting, I thought it would come handy for self-defense not only against bad people but also against slithering cratures you might encounter along the path. So here's my rather futile attempt to make one.




I removed the bark with a machete.


Then, I carve a wood spirit on the handle.


I made several wood spirit around the handle then I left the stick to dry in the sunlight.


After a while I get back to the walking stick and I found several cracks on it.

Then I remember on one of the blog I read, it says not to dry the stick directly under the sun but just leave it under a shade.

Oh well, lesson learned. I guess, I'll continue and finish this project despite the cracks. I'll polish it with a sandpaper and probably put a lanyard hole on the handle and also put a stick pic on the other end of the stick for my camera. And then coat the stick with linseed oil. I'll take pictures and post it to keep you updated.

That's all folks! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment